Sunday 24 August 2014

Gentle Journalling

Hello all, Alison (butterfly) here.  I've been trying to be gentle with myself in the run-up to my big journey.  It's been so busy round here that I needed the little play time I've had lately to double as mind-calming relaxation, so I just did some gentle journalling in the pages of a book.  It's only looking at it now that I realise how much of a story it's telling about my imminent adventure!


All being well, I should be en route to the States later today - yes, the passport arrived with the visa inside just in time!  I'll be in New York working on a production of Christopher Marlowe's Tamburlaine.  So while these pages provided a little respite in a crazy August of work and admin and preparation and packing, they also clearly have that sense of taking flight into new adventures built right into them, along with some ancient text.  (Okay, it's not ancient text I'll be working on, but it is more than four centuries old!)


I started from the idea of wanting to "preserve" some of the original book text, and I used Katy Leitch's butterfly silhouettes to do it.  They're stamped in Versamark and then clear-embossed.


Next came a wash of Chalk Fresco paint, and while that was still wet, I swept some Turquoise on too.  (Both colours are from the new Limited Edition JOFY set.)


Through all the later stages I did my best to keep them clean and clear so that the text would stay fully present.  I do like how they'll still catch the light and gleam at certain angles.


I used one of the Artistic Stamper masks to create my largest bubbles of positivity sweeping across and up the page spread.  (That seems to be the direction my art journal pages move in - look!) I sponged through the mask with Faded Jeans and Broken China Distress Inks and then did some shading and highlighting with pastel pencils.


Over that I stamped the Artistic Stamper Large Random Dots in both the Chalk and the Turquoise.  And finally I did some spattering with the inner stick of the Dylusions White Linen spray.


I seem to be a little bit obsessed with the meadow grasses from Tim's Spring Sprung stamp set at the moment, so they put in an appearance along the foot of the page.  And I used the Mini Polka Dot Background to add extra texture around the sky.


The tags had been soaked in tea and coffee, and then I stamped the beautiful Calligraphy Mat 4 in Sepia Archival Ink.


The large words from Journalling Words 2 are stamped in Sepia, as are the blots and splotches from the Katy Leitch Messy Art plate.  The big words got a bit of clear embossing for that magical extra shimmer. 


Once they were glued down, I used a couple of Inktense pencils to shade and outline them.  I really love how that makes them pop against the turquoise sky behind. And I tied some rustic twine through the tops of course.


There's a little bit of Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs inking all the way around the edge, but that's about it.  This was just a little oasis of calm in my crazy August, and I had a lovely gentle time playing with it!

Thanks so much for stopping by.  There's still a week to enter our Anything Goes challenge this month - no need to use Artistic Stamper stamps, but if you do you get two entries to the prize draw.  Hope to see you there.

Ingredients used:
Artistic Stamper masks: Large Dot Mask
Dylusions - White Linen
Fresco Finish Paints - Chalk and Turquoise from the new JOFY Limited Edition
Archival Inks - Olive and Sepia
Versamark embossing ink
Distress Inks - Faded Jeans, Broken China
From my stash: twine, book, Spring Sprung stamps, tea and coffee!

28 comments:

massofhair said...

Hope you have arrived safe in New York Alison, so exciting to know your Adventure has begun, do enjoy every breathe and every step...

Your journal pages are stunning, love the combination of colours and the coffee/tea stained tags are awesome. Can see why you needed the grass.

I can imagine laying down under this sky and seeing the clouds turn into tag shapes with your text and words on them floating by reminding me how amazing your ArT is.

Have fun, meanwhile thank you for such spectacular inspiration:-) xxx

Marci said...

Beautiful pages!

Astrid Maclean said...

Beautiful pages Alison with all f your trademark elements.

Enjoy the journey in all respects!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous pages Alison, there is definitely a sense of calm about them. Sue C x

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Lovely pages Alison, enjoy your journey the team will miss you. Dee x

Anonymous said...

These are really beautiful pages Alison. I hope you had a safe journey. Enjoy your time in NYC.

crafty creations said...

Beautiful pages with lots of hidden things to see - have a wonderful time in the States Hilda x

Anneke said...

Beautiful page. Fabulous piece of work. Thanks for sharing Anneke.

Art By Wanda said...

Beautiful!!!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

I love the calmness on your pages...even though you are creating a journey. Beautiful bubble background with layers. Lovely stamping at edges with grass images. Lovely pages.

Wish you happy and wonderful time at USA, Alison

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, travel safe, and have a great time in the big land and the big city of New York.
, how exiting !
Your blue sky with butterfly`s I guess you have to wait seing for some time ,between all the tall houses, there.
It is beautiful pages love the sky background very much !
xo, Dorthe

Redanne said...

Hope your 'journey' in the States is as wonderful as these beautiful pages Alison! Anne xx

Paper Profusion said...

Well your journey has begun in beautiful style Alison. Gorgeous pages - love the calming hues and the calligraphy stamp especially. Nicola x

Paper Profusion said...

Well your journey has begun in beautiful style Alison. Gorgeous pages - love the calming hues and the calligraphy stamp especially. Nicola x

cathylynn said...

Your pages are beautiful and full of calm and peace. Love the tags and the grasses too. Enjoy your stay in the USA!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fabulous pages Alison - the colours are stunning and I love the way you have created the background. Have a safe journey and enjoy NY x

May said...

Stunning pages Alison, Fabulous work as always... enjoy your time in the Big Apple...Hugs May x x

Debbie Adams said...

Wow! This is so pretty. I love how you did this and looks so fun to do. So inspirational. Totally giving this a try.
thank you
:D

Helen said...

Fantastic journal page, Alison, and how appropriate it is to see you on your way to your new adventure.

craftytrog said...

Beautiful pages Alison, I love the butterflies in resist, great idea!
Enjoy your adventure across the Pond.
Alison xxx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Lovely Alison...hope you felt ZEN after finishing these nice pages.
Greetings, Alie :-)

Deborah Wainwright said...

Love pages gentle and calming xx

Unknown said...

Beautiful and calming and thought provoking artistry, Alison! Such a wonderful way to ease the cogs & gears of an ever spinning mind--especially before & during travel :) But, fun & adventurous just the same! Lovely journal pages and fantastic steps and details taken-as always! XOXO-Shari

Cathy L. Calamas said...

very peaceful and love the idea of the butterfly with the versamark and embossing.

Julie Lee said...

Such beautiful pages, Alison. It is interesting how sometimes when we look back at something we've crafted we see many significant elements that speak quite eloquently of our lives at the time when we were absorbed in creating. I love new JOFY colours, how well they work on this page with the clear embossing. 'Tamburlaine' is a play I've always struggled to enjoy, though 'The Jew of Malta' is even more difficult for me to warm to, I find. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of wonderful insights! I'd love to see the production! Julie Ann xx

Cazzy said...

I love it, the butterflies are brilliant!

Dianne said...

PERFECTION......

Kezzy said...

Wow absolutely gorgeous journal pages, the softness is beautiful, love it. Happy Creating :-) Kezzy xxx