Tuesday 27 August 2013

There is always a first time....

Hello stampers and welcome to the blog. This is Astrid here to share a card.


Yes, you read that right, this is Astrid and yes, I know it is not my usual style at all.

I have always been a huge admire of people that can create beautiful CAS cards, something I had never done before, but there is always a first right?

Now to be honest, this card is totally cased on a card by Chrissie Stokes, which I saw in the September 2013 issue of the Craft Stamper magazine, so if you want you can read instructions there, but of course I used Artistic Stamper stamps.
I folded a piece of white card to the size I wanted and then masked off the bottom part of it with Post-its like Chrissie describes.
Next I stamped the Calligraphic Mat 12 in Versamark ink and heat embossed with Wow Clear Matt Dull regular powder .
With some Ink Duster brushes I brushed first Chipped Sapphire and then Gathered Twigs Distress Inks around the edges of my card, getting lighter toward the top and right hand side. I wanted the edges to be still a bit darker so also went round it once more with Adirondack Dye Ink in Espresso. 


I then inked up the Speckle background with the Espresso and added a few speckles around the outside.


Covering my piece with some kitchen paper I now ironed off the embossing powder to leave just the white stamping and then inked up the Rose from the Botanical 3 Plate in a combination of Library Green and Plum Archival Ink, stamped it in place and smudged out the colours a bit with some Cut-n-Dry Pen nibs.


The final step was to take away the mask and stamp my sentiment from the Tim Holtz Way With Words set in Jet Black Archival ink.

So, when was the last time you did something for the very first time? Well, I did when I made this card and I loved doing it, so it won't be the last.


Thank you for dropping by today, hope you like my card and that you will try something new soon!
Thanks for visiting and see you next time!

28 comments:

Scrumplescrunch said...

Well Astrid I can so relate to your feelings towards CAS, you do not have to worry as this is a stunning creation, and has your stamp on it.
Smiles:)
Sue

massofhair said...

A fabulous CAS card, beautiful vintage feel:-)

marda said...

This is beautiful. Lots of things I'm still waiting to try for the first time...I have to work up my courage first. That perfectionists problem with afraid to fail!!!!

Rita said...

Absolutely Stunning. I love what you have done here Astrid and Thank you for the how to as well. Hugs Rita xxxxx

Maryann Laursen said...

And as usual, you´ve obtained a stunningresult, even for a first time project. It´s gorgeous Astrid and you did an outstanding job. You are one clever lady, that´s for sure and always a huge inspiration to everyone around you, and thanks sooo much for that.

maria's knutselplezier said...

An amazing card dear Astrid, very beautiful it's like the white light is comming down on the beautifull rose!! Great colours and beautiful composition!!And every day we try something new in our hobby, and that for the first time!!

Greetings
Maria

Brenda Brown said...

Well done you, a fabulous card Astrid.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Jenny Marples said...

A magnificent card Astrid. Like you I tend to avoid this style but this is definitely one I would love to have a go at. Hugs, Jenny x

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

Definitely vintage !! how gorgeous !

Paula Whittaker said...

Super take on Chrissies card but I can still tell it's your work, has your style/taste written all over it.

Aquarius said...

I was intrigued by your blog title so had to take a look. This is a greeat take on the technique from CS - thanks for sharing. Love the effect.

Anonymous said...

A very lovely card.

Redanne said...

It is fabulous Astrid! Hugs, Anne x

Marianne said...

I think it's fabulous what you did. Love this background and colours. I did a canvas with panpastels for the first time.... there is so much to try out with this beautiful hobby.
xxx Marianne

Artyjen said...

Pretty, pretty pretty ;)
xoxo Sioux

Annie said...

Beautiful Astrid x love the background detail and wonderful shading......TFS

Annie x

May said...

Gorgeous CAS card Astrid...Fabulous background & text..Great image too...Love it... Hugs May x x x

Anneke said...

Love this background. Thanks for sharing. Anneke.

Margaret Mifsud said...

Totally gorgeous Astrid. Love the techniques you used here. Your card seems to have a 'glow' all on its own. It is beautiful!! ox

Jennie Atkinson said...

Absolutely stunning! I love all the techniques and the stamps work so well together. I am also trying some single layer CAS stamping at the moment, but got a long way to go !!

Terry said...

Simply stunning! Love this card!

Dorthe said...

A beautiful first card , dear Astrid.
The speckles looks great around the lovely rose, and the text is gorgeous stamped over the flower. Such a lovely card.
xoxo,Dorthe

Words and Pictures said...

It's really beautiful, Astrid... such exquisite blending of the inks over the script, and the rose looks absolutely stunning. Love the sharp edge of your masked off area - so effective. Bravo on your step into CAS... already masterful (mistressful?).
Alison x

kateri said...

I completely agree with what Butterfly said. The depth of color is amazing. It's like looking into another world, very ethereal. I came here from another blog, because the artist referred to your card as being amazing. Then off to your blog, and now here. It was worth the trip to see your beautiful card.

I haven't heard of the speckle background. Is it a stamp?

Astrid Maclean said...

Kateri, I don't know whether you will see this but I can't find another way to reach you. Thank you for your kind comment and yes, the Speckled Background is a background stamp, I apologize, as I see I forgot to link it to the section in the shop. You will find it under background stamps.

Almo said...

Great Card Astrid, its always scary to try something new but a great feeling when you get a great result as you have here. Hugs Mo x

Ros Crawford said...

Wow! Gorgeous!

Paper Profusion said...

This has an almost mystical quality Astrid. Very beautiful! Nicola x