Friday 23 August 2013

The Secret Garden by Emma


Hello everyone!! For my second post of August, I thought it would be nice to hold onto Summer as long as we could...so, I decided to make this canvas featuring butterflies and flowers. As always, I've taken lots of pictures to show you all the details and I hope you love what I've created...
To begin with, I covered my 7" x 5" canvas with Tim Holtz Composer Tissue Wrap before adding the colour using Distress Paints. I chose Picked Raspberry, Salted Ocean, Bundled Sage and Antique Linen and once applied over the top of the wrap, I gave them a good spritz with water before allowing them to drip down the canvas. Once I was happy with the way it looked, I added Black Soot around the edges and applied Picket Fence onto one of the Swirls, Spots and Splats stamps from the A5 set, to add some texture.
Next, I added some small torn off strips of Sketchbook Tissue Tape onto the canvas and applied some drips of white acrylic paint, which completed the overall background to my piece.
To make the roses, I used Tim's Tattered Florals die from Sizzix and then coloured each of the die cuts with Salted Ocean and Picked Raspberry Distress Inks before making them into dimensional blooms and giving them a quick spritz with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mists, to add a subtle shimmer.
I stamped the gorgeous large butterfly and some of the smaller butterflies from the Insects and Butterflies No.1 stamp plate onto a piece of white card and coloured them with Distress Marker pens, adding "dotty" highlights to the wings of the smaller ones, using a white pen.


I shaped the wings of each of them and added twisted wire for their antennae. I then arranged my dimensional blooms, added some die cut leaves using a die in my stash and the butterflies onto the canvas and finally, attached the Butterfly Words quote using an Idea-ology Memo Pin.


So, that's it from me today! Thank you so much for taking the time to pop by and visit and I can't wait to read all your comments. Don't forget you still have time to enter this month's challenge which is all about Postcards, Travel and Holidays and we'd love you to share all your wonderful creations with us!! All the details of the challenge are HERE.

See you all soon and hope you have a wonderful weekend full of creativity!
Emma x

13 comments:

Helen said...

Emma this is just stunning!! I love the butterflies and the flowers which add so much dimension on the canvas.

Clare Lloyd said...

Such a beautiful canvas, those butterflies are stunning and I think the quote is brilliant. X

Sid said...

Gorgeous canvas !

Anonymous said...

Truly beautiful and utterly unique, Emma. I think your Tattered Florals die must be one of the most used in the industry - and that's a compliment!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! That is so beautiful, the butterflies are gorgeous.

Astrid Maclean said...

Gorgeous canvas Emma! Love the background, both the colours and the different elements you used like the white splats etc and the tissue tape. Your roses always look amazing and those butterflies look stunning like this!! Great make!

Linda Page said...

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous x

jac777 said...

Stunning Emma :) x

Unknown said...

Gorgeous Emma! Love it! x

craftimamma said...

How beautiful this is Emma. The colours you have used throughout are wonderful and the roses are a delight to look at. As for the butterflies ....... they are absolutely breathtaking.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

How I love your background !!

Words and Pictures said...

Gorgeous... the butterflies are stunning - especially that large one - wow!
Alison x

Artyjen said...

Fab-u-lous! Gorgeousness personified! xoxo Sioux