Friday 2 August 2013

Songbird by Linda Ledbetter

Hi everyone! I'm Linda Ledbetter from Studio L3, and I'm so excited and honored to join The Artistic Stamper team as their guest designer for August! 

When lovely Emma invited me to browse the stamp collection and choose a few favorites for my projects this month, this exotically gorgeous lady (Donna's Songbird 2 stamp) was the first image to catch my eye. I just love her! 


I stamped our pretty Songbird onto Ranger Specialty Stamping Paper using Jet Black Archival Ink. This is my favorite ink to use when I'm going to be watercoloring with Distress Ink, as it's oil-based and won't run.

Once the image was dry, I placed dabs of Vintage Photo, Crushed Olive and Scattered Straw Distress Stain onto my Non-Stick Craft Mat, and used a Wide Tip Water Brush to randomly swipe the colors across the paper. I didn't blend the colors together, as I wanted the brush strokes to show. I love this simple technique for creating some visual texture!



Once the background was dry, I used a Fine Detail Water Brush with Distress Markers to color in the details on the image. The lady's complexion is tinted with Tattered Rose and Spun Sugar, and her eyeshadow color is Broken China. Her headband is colored with Ripe Persimmon, Worn Lipstick and Festive Berries, and I used Picket Fence to add some highlights to her hair. 


Next, I again used the Jet Black Archival Ink, this time with this awesome, bold image from the Borders A5 #2 set. To complete the front panel of the card, I edged it with Tarnished Brass Distress Paint

The background panel of the card is a deep teal page from the Ranger Distress Core'dinations Paper Stack. I again used the Tarnished Brass Distress Paint, this time with the little circles stamp from the same Borders A5 #2 set, to add a fun pattern to the paper.

Finally, I cut one of the fabric roses from a piece of Idea-ology Trimmings, dabbed it with Ripe Persimmon Distress Stain, and attached it to the lady's headband using Glossy Accents adhesive. I added a piece of scrap ribbon to complete her summery look. 

I had so much fun creating this simple card, and am in love with the images I got to play with from The Artistic Stamper! Thanks so much to Jennie, Emma and the team for welcoming me, and to you for taking the time to read my post. I'll be back later in August with another project to share. 

Have a fantastically wonderful day!
--Linda





21 comments:

Diana said...

breathtaking!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that. The background is great & I like how you gave her an actual headband. And of course, welcome to you, it's great to see you on the AS blog.

Sharon Y said...

Congrats! Love the card, just stunning.

Helen said...

Welcome to Artistic Stamper - this is gorgeous, Linda!

Janny's Cards Creations said...

Beautiful card. Janny

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

We are extremely happy and pleased you have joined us this month. Love your card :)

stanky said...

I love everything Linda does!! She's so talented

Becky said...

Love what you have done Linda

Jenny Marples said...

How dramatic! Love this Linda. Hugs, Jenny x

Words and Pictures said...

I love the strokes of inky colour in the background, and she looks fabulous with that flower in her hair!
Alison x

craftytrog said...

Great to have you join us this month Linda!
Your card is beautiful, I love how you used Donna's fab image!
Alison xxx

Winnie said...

Such a beauty! Love your coloring of her, and that great background! Love the texture you got with the strokes. Great to use the flower in her hair too!

Artyjen said...

Great background...so full of colour. Great effect with the hair band too ;)
xoxo Sioux

Jenny said...

Just beautiful. Love the stamp.

Astrid Maclean said...

Wonderful make, love the background and you have made the lady so dramatic! Love the hair ribbon and flower, that gives it that really special touch!

Rea' said...

Congratulations Linda on being a Guest Designer... how exciting!
Such a pretty card ,love how you created the background texture. Aah cool idea for hair highlights too ( gotta remember that one) !

donnalouiserodgers said...

It never fails to stun me how you guys take the stamps and do things that I had never dreamed of. You are so very creative, I love the combination of your paper crafting and the use of the flower and ribbons, it's a mixed media treat, beautiful beautiful work, thank you for choosing my design,

donnalouiserodgers

Sid said...

Such fab colours !!

Ruby Craft said...

Wonderful texture with the brush strokes. Beautiful colors and love all the details. Thanks Linda!

Marjie Kemper said...

Fabulous! Love how you've done her hair and added the flower. Great border stamp too!

Linda Simpson said...

Congratulations this is absolutely AWESOME!!!

Hugs
Linda xxx