Sunday 18 August 2013

Fabric book pages: By Zuzu

I have been making a fabric book in the last few days,(you may have seen this cover on my blog) and I completed two pages using Artistic Stamper stamps (these two pages have not been shown elsewhere yet);  I used Katy Fox stamps to be precise. I used two different plates here. the main flower image, the text definitions, the insect and the butterfly are all from Encyclopaedia Botanica sheet and the little numbers are from the Numerical plate.  you can find both of them HERE.  


 
To make the definitions look like they were from an old book, i stained my fabric with antique linen distress stains. (appropriate really). I made sure it was dry before trying to stamp over it using stazon jet black. I did the same with the numbers but dabbed some of the colour back out using a baby wipe. it just helped with variety in colour depths on the page.


The piece of fabric I stamped the flowers on to was burned around the edges using a joss/incense stick (its safer than a naked flame and more controllable). i used watercolour pencils to add the colour. 
I used the little stamped out numbers on several pages throughout the book....


Edited to add: I do not have a sewing machine. this is hand stitched and also uses some fabric glue. just to clarify for those of you who think you cant do this project without a machine ;) 

That's it from me this month. thanks for looking and for your comments. They are always appreciated.
Z x

14 comments:

Helen said...

What gorgeous pages, I love them. Wish I a) had room for b) knew how to use a machine - it would be endless fun (once I had mastered b) lol!)

Sid said...

These pages are really textural and they have great depth whilst being soft too !

Julia Dunnit said...

These are gorgeous, really impressed at the quality of the stamped images on fabric. i think I use Antique Linen more than any other ink or stain.

toni said...

A beautiful book , love all the layers and textures you've created x

Paula Whittaker said...

So much detail...fab work.

Astrid Maclean said...

This looks fantastic! Great combination of stamps and fabrics and I love the arty way you have put it all together! When I say "arty" what I mean is, it's kind of random, but actually not at all random, because all the different elements make complete design sense. Hope that what I am saying here makes any sense at all lol....

Zuzu's Blog said...

Helen, I dont have a machine. its all hand sewing and fabric glue.... no need to have a machine to make a book like this... :) so you can make one without the space. thanks for the kind comments everyone. x

Unknown said...

love the colors and diff techniques
wonderful job
please join
defuscodesign.blogspot.com

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

There are so many details in your book ! I am really impressed and I wish I could make such an amazing work !

Words and Pictures said...

So gorgeously feminine - absolutely lovely!
Alison x

Janny Jager said...

Wowwwwwwwww this is great and beautiful

Greetings Janny

craftytrog said...

It's absolutely beautiful Zuzu! Great inspiration! xxx

Artyjen said...

I admire your fabric book...it's something I must try and find time to have a go at!!! ;)
xoxo Sioux

terry said...

Gorgeous! Great balance of color texture and image!