Tuesday 13 August 2013

Enjoy the Journey Shabby Chic style...

Hello everyone and thank you for dropping by  today. Astrid here with a little Shabby Chic wall plaque:
These are the stamps and products I used:
Gibson Girls Plate 1
Calligraphic Mat 12
Labels
Tim Holtz Simple Sayings
Distress Inks in Vintage Linen, Victorian Velvet, Tattered Rose,Weathered Wood, Frayed Burlap
Archival Ink Jet Black
Tim Holtz Rock Candy Crackle Paint
Distress Stain in Vintage Photo
And from my stash:
Tim Holtz Baroque Die
Distressed Doily Die
Spellbinders Flower dies
Some Lace
Perfect Pearl pen
Mount board
Titan Buff Acrylic Paint
Treasure Gold in White Fire
Scrapbook papers (Prima)
Grey Charcoal pencil
Sewing machine

I started by cutting a Baroque frame out of mount board ( I bought a huge bag of off cuts from my local frame shop for £5 but have heard some frame shops even give it away for free, well worth checking out) I cut the baroque label die once more out of paper and inked it with my chosen Distress colours. I then stamped some of the labels of the labels set in Weathered Wood to add some more interest to the background.painted the frame with Titan Buff paint and when dry covered it in a fairly thin layer of Rock Candy Crackle paint. I dried it with my heat gun to make it bubble a bit. When it had dried and crackled I swiped the Distress Stain over it (Like Tim describes in his July Tag) and then rubbed some Treasure Gold over the raised bits .
Next I stamped one of the ladies from the Gibson Girls set and paper pieced her by stamping once on smooth card and once on a scrap of Prima paper. I cut them out, coloured her body with tattered Rose,  pieced them together and then adhered them to my baroque label. I drew a little bit of a grey shadow around her for extra depth. The baroque label seems to be made to fit this lady just inside it...
I gave the lady a little necklace by adding a pearl with my pearl pen and drew the little chain.
Next came the background, I cut another bit of 6 x 6" scrapbook paper in matching colours, inked around the edges with Weathered Wood and stamped some more of the labels and the Calligraphic Mat 12 all in Weathered Wood. Then I sewed around the edges and distressed them.
Next I created some ephemera to tuck behind the frame. I stamped some labels again in Weathered Wood on bits of  paper, coloured them with Antique Linen, Weathered Wood and Brushed Corduroy, distressed and crumpled them to make them look old and tucked them in behind the frame.
Next I glued some lace around my backing paper, cut a distressed doily out of white card, glued it on top and then the frame and ephemera on top of that.
The final step was to embellish with some home made flowers and leaves I still had lying around from a previous project, and then mounted all of that on a piece of 8 x 8" mount board.
One of the Tim Holtz simple saying mounted on a small strip of mount board finished it all off.
Well, there you have it. In my mind I can think of all sorts of stories about this lady and why she is kneeling there like this, but this post has become long enough as it is already.....

Hope you like my wall plaque, thank you for visiting and I hope you are having a creative week!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely!!

Elly said...

Stunning card and i'm in love in the texture on the frame (:o)

Scrumplescrunch said...

The card is fabulous Astrid with wonderful techniques.
Smiles:)
Sue

Sandie said...

Just beautiful Astrid, always love seeing your stamping creations.....

Inkypinkycraft said...

another beautiful piece full of gentle and beautiful detail, the die cut frame is gorgeous and love the image too x hugs xtrace x

Paula Whittaker said...

loving your shabby chic wall plaque.

chrissie said...

This is stunning Astrid and thank you for explaining how it was made.

Love Chrissie x

Maryann Laursen said...

Absolut gorgeous Astrid, you really ARE The Artistic Stamper, that´s for sure.

Margaret Mifsud said...

Stunning Astrid!! The colour combination is perfect for this project and I love the Gibson Girl ... she is a lovely focal point. Thank you for the step by step too ... it is a great help for those of us (like me ... LOL) who need that little bit of extra instruction to be able to create something like this. Love it!! ox

Anneke said...

How can i not like this waal plaque.
It is so pretty. Love the edges of it too. And ofcourse the colors you have used. I am a fan of your work. You have such a own styl. Thank you Anneke. www.annekescardart.blogspot.com

Jenny Marples said...

A beautiful wall plaque Astrid. Love the vintage layers and muted colours. Hugs, Jenny x

Redanne said...

A stunning piece Astrid!

Caroline said...

Oooo, had to enlarge to take in every vintage, gorgeous detail!! Absolutely love all the distressing & yes, she is in somewhat of a precarious position?? Reminds me of the women on those cards with hilarious captions on (can't remember name but a lit on Pinterest)..
Anyhow, off at a tangent I go....
Great job Astrid :))

Paper Profusion said...

Oh I would love to know this lady's story! This is most beautiful and evocative Astrid. Nicola x

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

wonderful plaque with so many details !!

Maryanne said...

This is a beautiful project, Astrid! I love the details and the I love how you did the lady and her necklace!

Margie said...

I do like those Gibson girl stamps and don't use mine often enough. This lady is lovely with her beautiful dress and posh necklace! I've got a big bag of that mountboard too but have never tried cutting a frame with it - got to give that a go now. Margie x

Anonymous said...

If shabby can be perfect then this is exactly that - the image, the colours, the use of the die and those beautiful flowers.
Wishes
Lynne

May said...

Beautiful project Astrid, The detail is fantastic...Love the layers & flowers...The framed image is wonderful... Hugs May x x

Words and Pictures said...

Gorgeous crackle on the frame, and I love the tiny pearl necklace - what a wonderful touch. Lovely ephemera too... a really elegant creation.
Alison x

Kelly said...

Your colors and style of this card is stunning. So elegant and beautiful. You are so talented with vintage!
Hugs Kelly

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is just so beautiful, Astrid!

Lucy x

craftytrog said...

Simply stunning!
Alison xxx