Sunday 20 May 2012

Alice Falling by Emma


Hi everyone!
For this piece of artwork, I thought I'd get inky and create a background to showcase one of the gorgeous Mabel Lucie Attwell stamps. I hope you like it...
To begin with...
I took a piece of cream card and spritzed it all over with Dyan Reaveley's Dylusions Ink Sprays in Postbox Red. I then added some texture by applying Gesso through the Harlequin Crafters Workshop Template and then allowing it to dry and harden. Once that was done, I then stenciled random areas of my background using the Dylusions Number Jumble stencil with Fired Brick Distress Ink.
Next, I inked up the Calligraphic Mat 11 stamp and the Sequin Waste Open stamp and stamped directly onto the background. I then inked up the hearts from the Roses Are Red stamp plate with Fired Brick DI and stamped this directly onto my inky cardstock.
Using the Alice Falling stamp, I stamped the outline image onto some watercolour paper using Black Archival Ink and then coloured it with Distress Markers, drawing out the pigment and colour from the pens with a waterbrush pen, to give a softer, more vintage feel to the artwork. I blended the edges of the coloured image with Antique Linen DI and then matted it onto black card before attaching it to my background.
I added roughly torn strips of Tissue Tape from the Symphony set and then added the "Curiouser and Curiouser" wording which I typed on the computer. Finally, I distressed the edges of my artwork, tearing them and curling them to give an aged look and matted the whole piece onto some black cardstock.
Thank you for taking the time to come and look at what I've created for my final piece of May...I'll look forward to reading all your comments.
Hope you have a lovely day.
See you again soon.
Emma x

10 comments:

Jacqueline said...

That's just gorgeous!!

Jackie x

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...amazing inky work Emma this piece is like a book page you want to read again & again...Mel :)

Sandra Botham said...

This is amazing, adore it. It the colour is delicate yet stands out. The image is fab. Will def be having a go at this background..
Thanks for sharing.
Sandra.

Michelle Webb said...

I just love all the layers Emma, It's like a journal page on a beautiful card. Really love it, I'd love to be sent a card like this. Michele x

Astrid Maclean said...

The background is just amazing Emma LOVE it, the textures and layers just sing for me as I am such a fan of vintage anyway. The LMA stamp and the way you have coloured it is lovely too!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, I love the background.

Janny Jager said...

Very very beautiful
Love the background.

Greetings Janny

Artyjen said...

Gorgeous background and lovely colouring of the image too;)
xoxo Sioux

craftytrog said...

Fantastic artwork Emma, that background is brilliant! xox

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful background.... love it! Great showcase for that whimsical stamp.